Minerals Grievance Platform
Risk Readiness Assessments (RRA) and Facility Database
RMI eLearning Academy
RMI and TDI partnered to develop the Material Insights platform, a collaborative industry solution which helps identify and assess the risks associated to a material along the value chain (e.g. extraction, component manufacturing, etc…). The platform will evolve over the coming three years, featuring new information on mineral value chains as well as mitigation opportunities. The platform is a valuable source for companies along the full value chain as it provides important market and risk information that can help assess the potential negative impact on human rights and environment in the supply chain as well as the potential exposure to such risks.
Risk Readiness Assessment
The Risk Readiness Assessment (RRA) platform is a self-assessment tool that allows companies to assess and communicate risk management practices and performance across 32 issue areas and 22 minerals / metals. The platform allows RMI members to connect with upstream partners and request their RRAs. Currently, RRA questionnaires are available for smelters, refiners, and mining companies.
A RRA demo video and additional guidance documents are available on ShareFile.
The RMI Facility Database is the centralized hub for due diligence and supplier information for critical ‘control points’ in mineral/metal supply chains including recyclers, smelters, refiners, processing facilities, trading companies. The database is continuously updated, including via bi-annual supply chain mapping ‘roll-ups’ from RMI member companies.
For smelters or refiners (SORs) participating in the Responsible Minerals Assurance Process (RMAP), the Facility Database provides notes beyond what is listed on the RMI public smelter lists, such as SORs' RMAP assessment history and company points of contact. The database also contains notes on Eligible SORs not yet participating in RMAP, including previous outreach attempts from the Smelter Engagement Team.
For a list of definitions of terms used in the Facility Database and the over 70 data fields, please visit the Database Fields Definition page.
- Developed in 2013, and expanded over the years to include over 3200 entities
- Information is directly informed by and includes actual supply chain mapping data, and supplier engagement information
- Currently datasets cover: 51 minerals/metals, including tin, tantalum, tungsten, gold, cobalt, and mica.
- Use cases:
- Access on a weekly basis by company procurement teams and CSR professionals to assess status of upstream supplier due diligence information and conformance status against RMAP standards (3TG and cobalt) and cross-recognized programs (focused on gold)
- Includes recommendations for company action (e.g., supplier outreach, suggested engagement steps, etc.) based on the companies’ RMAP conformance status
- Used for supply chain research, disposition/confirmation of alleged smelters/refiners, and classification of company types
- Used by companies to assess supplier risk and engage in risk management activities (continued sourcing, temporarily cease source, or terminate sourcing) based on available supply chain due diligence information. This database links to supplier due diligence files that contain company profiles regarding high-risk supply chains, incidents, and allegations.
- Used to coordinate and streamline cross-industry engagement and outreach to upstream companies to improve due diligence and increase supplier capacity and awareness
- Tracks company operational status, backed up by company ‘disposition forms’ to document operational status, change in ownership, mergers, names changes, aliases, etc.
- Links to company specific conformance/due diligence information:
- Company Supply Chain Due Diligence Report
- Company Supply Chain Due Diligence Policy
- Public Assessment Summary Report
- Unique Identification System (CID)
- Houses the unique RMI-issued “Company ID” that assigned to each individual entity that serves as the de-facto global industry identification system for company supply chain mapping.
- The CID is directly linked to RMI’s free, publicly available supply chain mapping tools, Conflict Minerals Reporting Template, Extended Minerals Reporting Template (to be released October 2021), and also referenced as good practice in RMI’s Blockchain Guidelines
RMI eLearning Academy
The RMI eLearning Academy is a free, public online learning platform that allows RMI members and stakeholders, auditors, auditees, and the general public to complete trainings on minerals due diligence and learn about the Responsible Minerals Assurance Process (RMAP) and Downstream Assessment Program (DAP). Course offerings range from introductory overviews on responsible mineral sourcing and individual minerals to specific assessment procedures and requirements.
The following courses have been added to the RMI eLearning Academy in 2021:
- Downstream Assessment Program (DAP) Training for Auditors and Downstream Companies
- Global Resource Source Due Diligence (All Minerals) Standard Webinar
- Risk Readiness Assessment (RRA) Criteria for multiple risk categories
The eLearning Academy provides a Team Leader role to allow users to invite their colleagues and partners to the platform. Team leaders are able to send new user invitations, assign courses, and track completion progress.
Additional information including a FAQ, Team Leader guide, and Course List is available at this link.
If you would like to create a new eLearning account or have any questions, please send an inquiry to the contact e-mail below.